Snow days bring forth an amazing childhood feeling that we never outgrow.  They provide a chance to stop everything and embrace the moment, and often to celebrate it in the way that we choose right in the middle of days that are rigidly planned.


  

Suddenly, this chance to switch gears elicits joyful abandon and a sense of freedom.  I am old enough to compare this to the long stretch of summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day, or Christmas Break in college.  My Kentucky years provided snow days, but my upper midwest life included no such luxury.  


And of course, life teaches us as we grow that snow days are a delight to those receiving them, but for those who must make the decision?— every angle can be stressful.  


Closing church, which we have already done far too often for the emotional and spiritual health of the community, has to be carefully considered and researched. I took several days to make the decision (with help!) And still waited for the 24 hour mark.  


Communication about the decision adds extra layers.  We can send out the information in myriad ways and people will still miss it.  Even so, with Morning Prayer on Facebook Live complete, my snow day muscles reasserted themselves. 




How do we respond?  


Some of our choices come down to personality and some to stage of life.  We live in a neighborhood of young families, many of whom were cheerfully walking and pan sledding in the empty streets. I will always choose to walk in the snow, but sleet and ice are another animal entirely. Fireside football and fun food (along with canine snuggles) call to me now.  


Perhaps I will actually have time to read something for myself, or nap or try that soup recipe that has not yet made it into the schedule. It is not a long hiatus, but the chance to just be home with Shannon warms my heart in a way that the outside weather only enhances. 




However you spent your sojourn, I hope your spirit found rest and energy for the journey ahead.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One sleepy dog

Veterans Day