Thanksgiving Reflections

(Photo Credit Maggie McGill)


Although our own Thanksgiving was quiet and serene, the real meal that centered our own holiday was the Advent I Eucharist. 


It has been so hard to balance safety with hope, and we are not apt to ever be completely carefree again on that score.  But, as I preached this morning, there absolutely must be hope as well. Returning to some of our liturgical traditions on this first Sunday of Advent was tremendously moving for our congregation, but also for me as their priest.


This morning was wildly distracting and compressed on the surface, (I love the happy chaos of our community,)  but so much more grounded than some of the Sundays during the past year and a half.  Part of it was offering both bread and wine to those who wanted it, but even more so it was the chance for more of us to participate in making the Eucharistic service come to life.  That is the heart of our community, and although it never departed, it was softly diminished.  


We had more acolytes this morning and a full Gospel procession.  Our Eucharistic Minister was a full partner at the rail.  Our ushers passed the plates for the first time at the late service, and when I lifted them high in gratitude it was as though old spiritual muscles were being reborn. Hand sanitizer has not been discontinued, but I have missed the Lavabo bowl. It was wonderful to have the acolyte serve me, and to say the prayer from Psalm 51 that has been missing for so long: 


Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a right spirit within me. 


How have I managed to serve at the Altar for so many months without saying this humble and centering prayer aloud?  And, how much have I missed the exchange of a grateful smile and bow between acolyte and priest. 


We have survived these months, and will continue so to do, even as we mourn those who have crossed into Paradise during this time.  But if our connection to God is not fed, then surviving is all that we are doing.  I want so much more for the special congregation that I serve.  I want them to thrive and love and feel God’s presence as the most important force in their lives.  Today, we renewed those efforts, and my heart is filled with thanksgivings and praise to God. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One sleepy dog

Veterans Day